Thursday, March 31

children are savages

I really need to stop hanging out with kindergarteners. They are nothing but trouble.


the result of googling "children are crazy"
Last night was wednesday (obviously), which means that it was again time for our weekly "throw a bunch of kids (who parents obviously don't know how to discipline them) into a gym and let them wear themselves out" routine.


As soon as I walked into the building, I knew trouble was afoot. 


The age group I work with is kindergarten through second grade, and we use two classrooms right across the hall from each other. When I came down the hall, the evil redhead kid was running between the rooms, slamming the doors and making those indian noises we all made on the playground when we were kids.


The redhead's second-in-command (a blonde who will probably need braces when he gets older) was encouraging an innocent bystander to help him pin one of the other leaders to the wall. This other leader (who name will henceforth be "C") is also a teenage helper who, like me, volunteered for the job, not knowing this was the kind of treatment he would be getting.


C and I spent the next ten minutes trying to get the right kids into the right classrooms, and keep them there. When the adult leaders eventually showed up, me and C were both in our respective rooms repeatedly yelling at the kids to sit down while trying to block the doors.


It was all very ridiculous.


Game time was a nightmare. It was like unleashing the very hounds of hell in that gymnasium.


There were wrestling matches, hide and seek, races, screaming, disturbing attempts at gymnastics, and lots of other crap (you can use your imagination), all within seconds of coming through the doors.


It was getting really "Lord of the Flies" in there.


if they had had sticks, it would have been nearly identical to this picture.
Eventually we were able to calm them down and proceed with our planned activities, but it was really freaky to see how quickly kids can completely lose their minds.


Those parents should know better than to give coffee to children before sending them to a church activity. Tsk tsk.

No comments: